One of the most rewarding things about spending time on the trails is when you get see some of the larger varieties of wildlife.
While hiking the trails around Laramie we’ve had a few sightings. Here’s a quick rundown of the trails or trail system where we’ve seen the most wildlife.
- Curt Gowdy State Park: We’ve seen some deer hiking along the Stone Temple Circuit.
- Vedauwoo: We saw a bull moose hanging out grazing on a beaver pond.
- South Branch: We saw about 20 to 30 head of elk while hiking along the Stock Trail.
While hiking the trails near Fort Collins we’ve been pretty lucky this spring as well.
- Horsetooth Mountain Open Space: We’ve seen deer, most of them were along Sawmill Trail.
- Lower Dadd Gulch Trail: We saw a bull moose near the end of the trail. This guy was laying right in the middle of the trail when we came around a corner.
- Lady Moon & Molly Lake: We’ve seen the most here. Several moose sightings near Molly Lake and even a couple calves (we kept a safe distance). We also saw some bear scat along the Southern end of Lady Moon Trail.
We’ve seen a lot more rubbings on trees and tons of tracks but the animals themselves are the real prize. I’ve been surprised by the number of moose we’ve seen while hiking both around Fort Collins and Laramie. I’m curious about what anyone else has seen and where?