It’s been slow around here lately. I spent last week in Vermont with my biathlon team coaching at the National Guard biathlon championships. While I’ve been hitting the trails on cross-country ski–they haven’t been our local trails.
But this morning I broke away with a few friends to go check out the trail conditions at Vedauwoo.
It was a beautiful bluebird day, the kind of spring day where we left our snowshoes in the car but wished we would have had them in certain places, microspikes in other places, our trekking poles for extra grip on the icy trail. We did some postholing in some areas and even enjoyed nice wet trails in others.
All in all it was a gorgeous day to hit the trails and enjoy the beautiful sunshine and spring.
Here are the trail conditions on the Turtle Rock trail at Vedauwoo.
- Date: 3/8/15
- Time: 10 am-12:00 pm MST
- Temperature: 40-45°F (ish).
- Weather: Warm, bright and sunny.
- Wind: Slight breeze in the parking lot but not noticeable on the trails.
- Trails Hiked: Turtle Rock Trail
- Snowpack: There are areas of waist deep crusty snow and other areas of dry ground.
- Grooming: Turtle Rock trail isn’t groomed but it was packed by boots, snowshoes and even a brave soul who skied it (hopefully on rock skis).
- Wax: I’d recommend snowshoeing over skiing but if you ski I’d forgo trying to kick wax for the crazy spring conditions with a pair of waxless skis.
You can grab a trail map for the Vedauwoo trail network here.
What are the other trail conditions in the area?