- We all know that hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders all share some of the same trails and that good trail etiquette is important but the National Interscholastic Cycling Association and the International Mountain Biking Association have taken it one step further by announcing a trail etiquette campaign aimed at teenagers. It’s called ‘The Spirit Of Howdy‘ and follows the basic premise that mountain bikers should slow down enough when passing others to exchange “howdy’s,” as mountain bikers and hikers we dig this advice.
- We love Joshua Tree National Park. When we lived in Southern California it was one of our favorite weekend escapes. That’s why we’re fired up with the news of idiots vandalizing 17 sites in Rattlesnake Canyon. We’ve written about jerks before but these guys are going to the top of the list. It’s too bad that these idiots aren’t the ones paying for the recovery of or spending their time cleaning paint off the sites they marked.
- Finally a reason to hike…braless? According to The Gear Caster, the Mountaineering Council of Scotland has issued a warning about navigation errors due to compass reversed polarity. For those of us who dig maps and compasses don’t forget that things such as cell phones, keys, GPS and underwire bras (who hikes in an underwire bra anyway?) can reverse your compass.
- Do you know how to live amongst coyotes? Here’s some great advice from Colorado Parks & Wildlife.
- The Laramie Ranger District has released a list of upcoming forest management projects. We’ll try to keep you posted about their impacts.
- If you’re curious about all this moisture that we’ve been receiving and what it’s done to our water levels be sure to add this website to your favorites.
- Wyoming State Parks is looking for volunteers to help out with the ‘Summer Outdoor Slam’ on June 8th (it sounds like an outdoor heavy metal concert but it’s not) and the Curt Gowdy State Park trail maintenance day on June 15th. Both sound like a slammin’ good time (and there’s free lunch for volunteers at the trail maintenance event).
- If you leave near Greeley, the U.S. Forest Service has postponed the grand opening of the Pawnee Buttes trailhead. This one is on our list of places to explore.
- Why does this seem like the perfect job? The Forest Service is looking for two couples to volunteer as hosts at the Stub Creek Ranger Station. The good news, they get to live in the woods all summer. The bad news, they have to clean an outhouse.
- Looking for an internship? The Colorado Youth Corps Association in partnership with the BLM is looking for 13 interns. It’s also a paid internship, what a deal…and why did I never get paid for any internships?
Just Trails Updates
- If you’re a fan of Sierra Trading Post, here’s a great deal. Through May 8th you can take an extra 25% off purchases up to $125, 30% off of purchases up to $200 by using the code AVAPRIL3 at checkout. (p.s. we are a Sierra Trading Post affiliate, it’s where we buy 75% of our outdoor gear and clothing)